Republicans seem hell-bent on allowing the Left and Obamacare to define the parameters of Healthcare reform. The Republicans ALWAYS follow the Left’s lead and allow the libs to define the argument! This has to change, NOW!
ELIMINATE MEDICAID IN OBAMACARE REPLACEMENT
The Obamacare replacement should only focus on “private” insurance coverage whether purchased directly by individuals or provided by employers as a benefit to their employees.
MEDICAID has nothing to do with private insurance and was enveloped in Obamacare to provide a transition template for the left to make Obamacare a single payer system. This is the ultimate goal of the left!
MEDICAID should be addressed in separate legislation as is Medicare, Social Security etc. MEDICAID is a welfare program intended to provide medical coverage for the poor even though Obamacare included those earning 4 times the poverty level as “poor”. The chart below shows the poverty level for various household sizes. The far right column shows the income level for those earning 4 x the poverty level:
According to this chart, a family of 4 earning $96,400 is eligible to receive benefits under MEDICAID. This puts MEDICAID under Obamacare in an entitlement program category all its own.
Address Private Coverage Only in the Obamacare Replacement Bill
What is left?
- Repeal Obamacare in its entirety leaving MEDICAID as a standalone program as it should be. Medicare and VA healthcare was not part of Obamacare and MEDICAID should be excluded as well.
- Interstate Insurance: Allow for Insurance companies to compete across state lines.
- Demand Driven Policies: Allow Insurance companies to create a menu of bundled services into health insurance plans for both individuals and employers. Self-Insured employers would be free to create their own plans.
- Plans could range from lower cost umbrella plans to comprehensive plans with optional add-ons.
- Lowest Price Medications: Pharmaceutical companies would have to provide medications to patients at the same cost as they do to their lowest cost customers around the world.
- Expand Health Savings Accounts: Health Savings Accounts should be expanded and considered part of the individual’s estate.
- Healthcare Premiums Deductible: Taxpayers should be able to deduct the cost of their health insurance from their income taxes!
- Pre-Existing Conditions: A federal pool would be created to cover individuals with pre-existing conditions.
- It should be noted that only 1.5 million people or .4% of the population have pre-existing conditions!
- The pool would be allocated to States according to population with actual dollars given out for actual coverage and any funds not used would remain in the pool.
- Expenses would be tracked and reported separately.
- MEDICAID as a program should be dealt with separately. Reductions in increases, block grant amounts, eligibility etc. should be kept separate from the Obamacare replacement. PERIOD.
The Obamacare replacement bill then would be pretty straight forward and get the government out of healthcare for private individuals and businesses. The free market would be freed to function and provide only the services that people want.
Health Cost Curve:
Cost Curve: Health costs have been rising steadily since Medicare was created back in 1966. Medicare created a complicated, and illogical, reimbursement methodology that has nothing to do with cost containment. Medicaid has further complicated reimbursement systems and have served to only increase medical costs. Medical providers should be required to publish their services and fees and the federal government should receive the lowest cost from these providers. Rural providers could be required to charge no more than what is charged by the nearest metropolitan city.
Government Claims Processing: All single payer government healthcare claims (Medicare, Medicaid, VA) processing should be outsourced to companies like American Express to eliminate waste, fraud and abuse by unscrupulous providers.
Mal-Practice Insurance: Medical mal-practice should be limited to $250,000 per occurrence which will help control the providers costs that should be passed through in terms of lower fees.
FDA Reform: If the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) certifies a drug safe for distribution, the total drug manufacture’s liability would be limited to $500,000,000. The FDA regulations and procedures should be reviewed and streamlined to shorten the time to market for new drugs.
Alas this is probably too simple for power-hungry Washington DC. Their lobbyist and personal power trips would derail the simplification of our healthcare system now that Medicare and Obamacare have moved healthcare far to the left of center towards a total national single payer system.