IF Abortion Was Illegal,
What Should be the Penalty for the Parent(s)?
Note: This article is written from the perspective of one who has been involved with the Pro-Life movement for years on the ground, in front of Planned Parenthood, marching for Life in the Streets, helping to create effective side-walk counseling, working to provide shelter and support for women who decided to keep their babies rather than abort them but needed help in the process, and helping to create recuperative counseling for post-abortive mothers and fathers who often suffer from suicidal tendencies, substance abuse and depression.
Consequences for Abortion: There are zero politicians on the face of the US map that would ever say that Abortion should be made illegal with criminal penalties for the mother, father.
OOPS, except Donald Trump who is arguably not a US politician.
But, those same politicians have no problem charging a murderer with a DOUBLE HOMICIDE when a pregnant mother and her unborn child are murdered! As a matter of fact, this is Federal Law in addition to most States having the same statute, even CALIFORNIA.
So, when Trump was goaded into answering the gotcha, hypothetical question, by a “CATHOLIC”, PRO ABORTION CHRIS MATTHEWS, that IF abortion was ILLEGAL, whether there should be penalties for the mother (and presumably the father if he was involved) who aborted and killed their baby. Trump answered that he thought that IF There WAS a LAW Making Abortion ILLEGAL, that there should be penalties for all involved, including the mother and father. He did not specify what the penalties may be even though Matthews threw out prison terms.
Before you knee-jerk into saying that Trump was wrong, consider what a thoughtful society, one that valued life, may devise as a “Penalty“.
All Abortion Decisions are Not the Same: When you are on a sidewalk in front of a Planned Parenthood or other abortion provider; or counseling post abortive parents; or manning a pro-life booth at a county fair; you run into all sorts of circumstances. (Below are a few examples)
There is the 14-year-old girl who is being pressured by her parents to have an abortion.
You have the 18-24 year old girl being pressured by her boy friend to have an abortion as he does not want to be saddled with a baby to care for.
You have a married couple with several children and are pressured by their economic situation to seek an abortion.
You have girls who have been raped or the victim of incest by a family member.
And, you have women and men who are back for their 6th or 7th abortion who are suffering from addiction or even a mental defect.
In all cases, a child (children) have been killed but the circumstances dictate totally different “penalties” or consequences for the consenting parent.
If Abortion was Illegal, not necessarily criminalized, what “penalties” may be imposed. For the parents (s) of the child, there could be graduated penalties/consequences resulting from the abortion:
Consider these circumstances and the possible consequences (penalties) of making a decision to terminate a pregnancy: (Parents and/or Family Members)
- Minor Children and Abortion: A minor (mother and father) who obtained an abortion would be referred to post abortive counseling to deal with the residual mental impacts of the abortion decision on one or both of the parents. If their parents were involved in the decision, they would also be required to attend post abortive counseling sessions.
- Inconvenient Abortions: Young married or unmarried parents who decided to terminate a pregnancy would also be required to attend post-abortive counseling to mitigate the impacts of their decision. If their decision was motivated by adverse economic conditions, perhaps additional economic counseling could be provided to help alleviate their financial problems.
- Rape or Incest: If the abortion was prompted by rape or incest, then there are two levels of “penalties” that should be provided. One, counseling to deal with the impacts of the rape or incest. Two, post-abortive counseling to mitigate the impacts of the abortion decision. Many who are victims of rape and incest and who have abortions suffer from a double trauma. Feeling guilty that they were raped or the target of incest, and then the guilt over terminating their pregnancy. These situations are the most difficult to treat.
- Repetitive Abortions & Substance Abuse: Often times these are women, or wives, or couples who suffer from substance abuse and terminate 1-6 pregnancies during their addiction cycles. This would require a dual level of “penalty”. One would include substance abuse counseling and intervention. Two, would be to provide post-abortive counseling to help the mother, and the father if present, with the psychological impacts from the abortion. Often, the abortion guilt cycles into deeper drug or alcohol addiction issues so it is imperative to break the addiction cycle to eliminate the next abortion.
Penalties for Abortion Providers
If the provider was a licensed health care professional, the penalty would include the loss of their license which is the same for any illegal medical procedure that is performed. Worse case would probably be a manslaughter charge of some severity. Beyond that is pure conjecture and probably a flight of fantasy.
The real irony of this article is that
All VICTIMS of Abortion Today Should Be “Penalized” as Stated above
And Given Counseling For Their Own Well Being
The Suicide, Substance Addiction, and Mental Illness
Is Over 30% Higher for Post-Abortive Parents
Than for the Average Person!
So, Trump Was Correct.
There Should Be “Penalties”/Consequences for Parents who would have Illegal Abortions.
But, these “Penalties”/Consequences Could be More Humane than with the LEGAL ABORTIONS we allow today!
The Left refuses to even consider that there are negative consequences to abortion. They ignore the 30%+ of the Post-Abortive parents who are suffering or who have ended their own lives.
IF Abortions were to become Illegal, the First Step Would Be to Help our Youth with Their Decision Making Regarding their Sexual Activities.
We can Eliminate 99% of Abortions Today By practicing Birth Control!
Less than 1% of Abortions are performed Due to Rape or Incest (1)
So, I am personally glad that Trump was asked the question regarding abortion. The Republican Establishment, pundits, and the other candidates are going bonkers saying the Trump does not understand the Pro Life movement. I think I do, and I do not see any issues with his position. No one knows what Trump would have come up with as far as penalties. Hopefully he would concur with those in this article. But, I do believe that the consequences outlined here would be considered if abortion was illegal. I firmly believe that post-abortion counseling is vital to the health and well being of the mother and father going forward. It can help make them better parents to their other children and help to make abortion less of an option for the next generation.
Trump will continue to catch flack over his interview but once again, Trump has brought an issue to the forefront of this election that would have been ignored if he had not been in the 2016 Republican Primary Race! The establishment hates this issue and will duck it at all costs!
(1) In 1989 the Alan Guttmacher Institute, now a division of Planned Parenthood surveyed 1,900 women and only 1% said they were getting an abortion because of rape or incest. Today it is even less due to the widespread use of birth control, even in young teenagers.