With Ryan and the “RYNOs”, No One Shuts Down the Government
Background to the Selection of Paul Ryan to the Speakership Role in October of 2015.
2012 Election–Republican Party whined they needed to take over the House of Representatives before they could control the President. We voted in this House majority for the Republican Party, 233-200. The Democrats kept the Senate 55-45. Speaker Boehner complained he did not have enough power to hold off Obama’s mandates.
2014 Election–Republican Party whined they needed to take over the Senate and keep the House before they could control the President. We increased the house lead for the Republicans 247-188 and Senate took over the Senate for the Republican Party, 54-46. Speaker Boehner and the new Leader of the Senate Mitch McConnell complained they did not have enough power to hold off Obama’s mandates.
Power of the House and its Speaker: The Speaker of the House of Representatives is arguably the 2nd most powerful position in the US Government and the Speaker is next in line for the Presidency id the President and the Vice President are incapacitated. Further, the House has the sole power of impeachment (Section 2). The House also has the sole power to initiate bills that increase revenue. This revenue power plus portions of Section 8 of the Constitution constitute the “power of the purse” through which Congress can control any lawful or unlawful expansion of the Executive.
“The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;”
Checks and Balance: Sections 2, 7 and 8 provide for a strong check and balance between the Congress and the President. The President could in theory issue an executive order to build a new White House but if Congress did not authorize the spending for the new White House the President would be prohibited to spend any funds on this project. If the House feels that the President may be guilty of “High Crimes or Misdemeanors”, it has the ultimate authority to Impeach the President, or other government officials (Section 2 and 4). In short, the Congress can effectively check the extra Constitutional expansion of power by the Executive Branch, IF THEY CHOSE TO DO SO!
Omnibus Bill of 2016-Setting the Stage for the Demise of the Republican Party
The Omnibus Bill of 2016 (OB2016) has become the “metaphor” for what has killed the Republican Party. The Republican Party had seen the backlash against Republicans overspending since Reagan left office. The conservative base of the Republican party perceived the Party to be complicit in created the Recession of 2008. The conservative base was also tired of the Republican Party not standing up against Obama to establish a regular budget process rather than creating an unending stream of Continuing Resolutions and MASSIVE INCREASES TO THE NATIONAL DEBT. Then, the Republican Party time and time again promised to overthrow Obamacare, reign in immigration, and countless other issues that they failed to deliver. Couple this with the Party nominating what the Party conservative base perceived to be pseudo-conservatives, (RINOs), including Bob Dole, George W. Bush, John McCain, and then Mitt Romney. The conservative base is fed up with the Republican Party. When Paul Ryan was nominated as Speaker, the conservative base held out hope that a strong, conservative Speaker would be selected. They perceived Ryan to be a policy wonk and a numbers guy but not someone who could lead the conservative agenda. Alas, in the end the Republican Establishment won out and Paul Ryan was voted in as Speaker.
Why such a backlash against a bill that was no different from the ones adopted over the past 7 years? Because, the bill was no different from the ones adopted over the past 7 years!!! Here are a few of the issues surrounding the passage of OB2016.
- Ryan said he had no choice but to ram through a $1.2T+ bill without debate and oversight as there was no time to go through a normal process or the government would be shut down. In Italian we would say this is the same “toro merda” that the Party has been pulling for 7 years IN SUPPORT OF THE OBAMA AGENDA. Ryan was saying that he just took over as speaker in late October of 2015. Excuse me, he was the Chairman of the powerful Ways and Means Committee and prior to that he was in charge of the House Budget Committee since 2011. I can’t image how it was a surprise that we ran out of money and he had to ram OB2016 down our throats
- Below are a few of the items that the conservative base supported but were not included.
- Defund Planned Parenthood
- Defund key parts of Obamacare to substantially slow down its implementation.
- Pause Syrian Refugee program.
- Defund Obama’s efforts to unilaterally create amnesty for illegal aliens living in the US.
- Stop Obama from emptying Guantanamo and by default close it.
- Eliminate the cuts to future military pensions. (Congress gets theirs)
- Defund the resettlement of illegal aliens. $1.6B in this bill.
- Instead of stopping the H2-B lower wage visa program, this bill quadrupled the number of part-time visas to over 200,000.
- The elimination of H1-B visas for highly skilled employees was not included in this bill.
- Control over Super-PACS was ignored and this bill included a provision that would effectively raise the amount that high net-worth donors can contribute to political party committees from $97,250 to $777,600. This provision protects the big money that the Party Establishment gets to defeat our conservative candidates.
I could go on and on but I think you can see that The Republican Party continues to ignore its conservative base. They cannot believe the rise of a Donald Trump as they claim Trump is not conservative. Can someone send me a memo with the definition of conservatism by the Republican Party Establishment? This could very well be the year that the Republican Party goes the way of its predecessor the Whig Party in the 1850’s. If the Establishment does not allow the Republican Primary process to proceed without interference, and they sabotage Trump, Carson or Cruz, there will be a revolt the likes unseen for over 165 years. Ryan could be one of the few Speakers to lose his house seat in 2016.
Full Text of 2016 Omnibus Bill: http://www.scribd.com/doc/293404669/Read-omnibus-spending-bill-text#scribd
Text of Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/print_friendly.html?page=constitution_transcript_content.html&title=The%20Constitution%20of%20the%20United%20States%3A%20A%20Transcription