Sandra Fluke has been catapulted to the dubious position as the Left’s patron saint of birth Control in just a few short days. How did this happen?
Just follow the politics:
- Darrell Issa’s House Oversight and Government Reform committee scheduled a hearing on religious liberty and the birth control rule on Thursday, February 16th.
- Committee rules require that all proposed witnesses be submitted 72 hours in advance of the hearing. This is a general rule and not one for just this hearing.
- The Democrats had the opportunity to put up a witness and did so. They proposed a MAN, not a WOMAN, and his name was Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Barry was the star witness for the Democrats but Barry declined to attend at the last-minute but said he would submit his comments in writing.
- Then, the Democrats on the Committee tried to force Issa to forego the Committee 72 hour vetting rule for witnesses. The Democrats wanted Issa to allow Sandra Fluke to testify in lieu of Barry Lynn. Issa briefly reviewed Fluke’s credentials and determined that without additional vetting, Fluke did not qualify to speak to the topic of religious liberty and the impact of mandated birth control on that liberty.
- The Democrats on Issa’s committee then bolted out to find the cameras and started screaming that Women were not being represented at the committee hearing. THEY DID NOT PROPOSE A WOMAN TO SPEAK WHEN THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY.
- Then, as Pelosi always does, she feigned outrage and created a faux hearing of the committee’s Democrats and featured Sandra Fluke as sole witness.
- Fluke then spent all of her testimony touting the medical benefits of women taking birth control pills and her, and her friends and acquaintances, inability to afford birth control and made her case that birth control is a woman’s health issue and a “right” under Obamacare regardless of Religious Conscience Objections, the latter does not count.
Why are the Dems using Birth Control as the showcase “Republican Anti-Woman” campaign?
Well, the short answer is that they cannot run on the Democrats and especially Obama’s “accomplishments” so they are trying to create a strawman issue to drive women away from a Republican Presidential candidate. The President only has solid support from Blacks with even Hispanic support softening from the 2008 election. Blue collar workers are fleeing from Obama in droves leaving only public and private sector union members and academia. Obama has to peel off the women vote which has become extremely soft for Democrats.
Who is Sandra Fluke?
- What she isn’t, is a starving 23-year-old law school student attending Georgetown University, A CATHOLIC JESUIT UNIVERSITY. Gee, any guess why she is attending a Catholic University and is testifying against Religious Freedom regarding Birth Control?
- She is closer to 30 years old and graduated originally from Cornell University in 2003.
- Flukes “degree” from Cornell University include “Policy Analysis & Management”, as well as “Feminist, Gender, & Sexuality Studies” and she was also the President of Law Students for Reproductive Justice, and Vice President of the Women’s Legal Alliance.
- She actually testified at the faux hearing that she chose Georgetown University because the University has a prohibition against providing free birth control to its students and she wanted to get that policy changed. No mention of actually attending to get her law degree!
- Georgetown University tuition cost is about $24,000 per semester, plus books, food, lodging etc. Not an inexpensive law school to say the least but their alumni generally reach the top 1% tier quickly following graduation. A typical Georgetown law student will spend over $200,000 to graduate from this prestigious institution. If you can’t afford a $1.00 condom or a Wal-Mart prescription for birth control pills, you should seek an alternate law school or get a job so you can buy your own birth control. Or, abstain!
- Sandra is also an activist for free sex change operations believing that insurance coverage that does not include “gender reassignment surgeries” is discriminatory and a civil rights violation and should be litigated and included in Obamacare. Transgender persons wishing to undergo the gender reassignment process frequently face heterosexist employer health insurance policies that label the surgery as cosmetic or medically unnecessary and therefore uncovered.” She even created a new word, Heterosexist. Obviously this gender reassignment position would also be also be antithetical to the Catholic Church as well as other religious institutions.
So, Sandra Fluke was a Democrat plant to keep the Birth Control / “Republicans Hate Women” campaign alive and well. They hung birth control around Santorum’s neck but that was starting to wear thin so they needed a new tactic. Enter Sandra Fluke stage left! Unfortunately, Rush fell prey to this tactic and fed the fire but that does not detract one iota from the fact that the Religious conscience objection to being forced to provide birth control, including abortifacients, is a First Amendment, Freedom of Religion issue and not one of reproductive rights or women’s health. Why, because mechanical and pharmaceutical birth control is already available free of charge by that staunch stalwart of life Planned Parenthood and other pro choice organizations. They are also available free to Medicaid, Medicare, and Disability enrolees. They are also available to you son or daughter in many states whether you are consulted or not!
Hat Tips (Lots Below, pro and con)