The Progressive Left always throws around the word Compromise when they are not in a majority position in the government. basically this can be translated as, “Since we don’t have total power, you have to accept part of our failed ideas“!
When they have total power, like they did from 1965-1968 (Lyndon B. Johnson), 1977-1980 (Jimmy Carter) and 2009-2010 (Barak Obama), they never bring up the word compromise. In fact, Obama himself said to the Republicans, “I Won”, when he refused to listen to ideas the Republicans had regarding the Stimulus package in January of 2009. The press echoes this sentiment on behalf of the left every single day trying to force Republicans out of their principled positions.
For Republicans, you should take a look at the hard left agenda that was enacted within a mere 11 years of the Johnson, Carter and Obama administrations where the Left had total control over the Presidency, the Senate, and the House:
The “Great Society” that included:
- Medicare (Social Security Act of 1965)
- Medicaid (Social Security Act of 1965)
- Clean Air Act (Expanded EPA oversight responsibilities)
- Older Americans Act
- Created NPR and PBS
- Food Stamp Program
- Bilingual Education Mandates
- Head Start and Jobs Corps
- Architectural Barriers Act-Handicapped Access Mandated
- Higher Education Act of 1965-Expanded Student loans, grants to Universities etc.
- Several others…
- Created the Department of Education (How many kids have they educated?)
- Created the Department of Energy (How much energy have they produced?)
- Signed the Panama Canal Treaty (giving away our control of the canal)
- Stimulus: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act
- Repealed Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
- Reversed Bush’s Ban on providing US Funds to Foreign Nations for Abortions
- Reauthorized SCHIP program (provided free healthcare to children raising income restriction requirements)
- Drastically changed the role of NASA
- Allowed the US to takeover and own General Motors and Chrysler
- Nationalized the Student Loan Industry
- Enacting Cap and Trade via executive mandates to the EPA
- Curtailed significant Oil and Gas Exploration via the Department of Interior
The lesson is that when the Left has total control, they move the US hard left toward Socialism. There is no compromise with them when they are in power… They don’t even care if you show up for a vote!
The message for Republicans is to ignore the Democrats and the media when the Left calls for Compromise when the Left has to go through the inconvenience of sharing power with you!
If conservatives ever get the opportunity to start to turn this country around, here are a few suggestions:
- Eliminate the Department of Education over a 4 year period.
- Eliminate the Department of Energy over a 4 year period.
- Revamp the charter for the Environmental Protection Agency to severely curtail their activities and reduce funding by 40%
- Repeal Obamacare
- Repeal Dodd-Frank
- Sell Off Government owned shares of General Motors, Chrysler and all others companies that the government has taken equity positions.
- Eliminate NPR and PBS funding
- Eliminate the Food Stamp program and welfare programs and consolidate all “safety” net programs under a single program including Head Start, SCHIP and other pubic assistance programs.
- Re-establish private sector student loans
- Modernize Social Security
- Modernize Medicare and Medicaid (get the government out of the business of setting healthcare reimbursement rates)
- Repeal all regulations choking off and restricting our ability to safely explore and extract natural gas and oil.
- Expand the refinery capacity of the US immediately
- Turn back the majority of lands under the control of the Department of Interior to the States unless there is a national security risk.
- Turn back control over waterways and water rights from the Department of Interior and return control to the States.
- Secure the Canadian and Mexican Borders
- Enact a sane immigration policy that control immigration into the US.
- Eliminate the exclusion of Congress from all laws that Congresses passes.
- Place a reward cap of $500,000 on all personal injury lawsuits.
- Place high statutory penalties on nuisance law suits.
- Eliminate Capital Gains Taxes
- Eliminate Corporate Taxes
- Adopt a flat tax or reduce all rates by 30%.
- All citizens should pay something toward being a citizen of the US even if it is $100.
This would be a start! We simply cannot continue to allow the left to ratchet us further to the left. Compromise means that the Left does not move us quite as far to the left as they would like to but the momentum is still to the left. You have to understand that this is a game you cannot win. What voters are fed up with is YOU compromising THEIR lives! We will be watching and 2012 is right around the corner…