When you live by conservative principles, you don’t have to think about how you answer questions like:
- How do you fix healthcare?
- How do you fix the economy?
- How do you fix the budget deficit?
- How do you fix Global Warming?
The answers are grounded in the CONSERVATIVE INSTINCT: “How can individuals be empowered to solve the issue at hand”? Not, “How can government be empowered to solve the issue at hand”? Reagan had the Conservative Instinct and that is why he was never stumped for a response to a question. Palin, Bachman, Santorum and others have this same instinct and that is why they have been historically consistent in their positions…
When you are assessing a Republican Candidate, look at the positions they have taken in the past and/or how they have voted or enabled specific solutions, then bounce those positions off of the CONSERVATIVE INSTINCT . When Republican candidates are on the stage, in a press conference, giving a speech, etc., just listen to their answers and assess them against the CONSERVATIVE INSTINCT. If the Candidate leans toward the government solution over the individual solution, then you should judge them accordingly. This person’s position on this issue is NOT CONSERVATIVE, but Progressive.
Also, if you are laboring under any doubts that Government Can’t Solve Problems versus the fact that Government Can Only Create Problems, (which they love to march in a fix for you), then consider just a few of the areas government has provided solutions:
- Social Security: The Government cannot even give the Seniors a COLA increase from a fund that the Seniors paid into and the government uses a a source of loans to cover their debt.
- Medicare: The Government continues to increase premiums to the Seniors while cutting more and more services. Obamacare slices one half a trillion dollars out of Medicare so they can cover the 20 million or so uninsured who don’t want coverage in the first place.
- Federal Deficit: The Government is quite good at spending your future money and that of your children and grandchildren. They can’t even stop writing checks for programs no one wants.
- Education: After Carter Federalized education and created the Department of Education, US student performance against other developed, and some no so developed nations, has plummeted to all time lows.
- Energy: Since Carter Federalized the Energy Policy, we have become more dependent on foreign sources of energy and less inclined to develop domestic sources.
- Mail Delivery: Do I really need to go into this?
- Environmental Protection: Since the EPA became operational in 1970 under Nixon, it has merely become a mechanism for the environmental activists to stop growth and now has become a catalyst for Taxation via Cap and Trade. The EPA is probably the single largest detriment to US business development in the US and one of the primary causes for the exportation of jobs.
- This list could go on for many pages…
Basically, you can make your assessment of the candidates simpler by applying a simple test in just a few key areas. Just ask if the candidate would support these statements under each of the 4 categories.
- Healthcare: If the candidate believes that:
- The Candidate believes that since President Johnson signed Medicare, the entire healthcare industry has been taken hostage by the Federal Government, then he or she is a conservative.
- Government should privatize healthcare and get out of the healthcare business, then he or she is a conservative.
- Government should quit artificially manipulating Healthcare costs via their setting of insane Medicare reimbursement concepts, then he or she is a conservative.
- Government should privatize Medicare and Medicaid via the open market. Since we all pay into Medicare, then the government should treat our “contributions” as a health savings accounts and allow us to use this money to offset the private plan we chose; then he or she is a conservative.
- If the Government is going to “certify” the safety of drugs or procedures via the FDA, then the liability of the manufacturers should be limited to $250K per claim, then he or she is a conservative.
- If someone wants to buy private healthcare insurance, they should be able to do so across state lines and even go to international carriers if available, then he or she is a conservative.
- Tort Reform is one of the keys to lowering healthcare costs, then he or she is a conservative.
- Economy: If the candidate believes that:
- The Government is the principal hindrance to economic growth through tax and regulatory policy, then he or she is a conservative.
- Corporate tax rates should be lowered substantially, then he or she is a conservative.
- Overseas Corporate Profits should not be taxed by the US if the capital is returned to the US for investment in the US, then he or she is a conservative.
- Individual tax rates should be lowered substantially, then he or she is a conservative.
- All Federal Department regulations should be reviewed and eliminated if found to be detrimental to job creation, then he or she is a conservative.
- All federal subsidies should be eliminated. Including those embedded in the tax code, then he or she is a conservative.
- Within 4 years, a flat tax would replace the current tax system and the IRS virtually eliminated, then he or she is a conservative.
- Budget Deficit: If the candidate believes that:
- The Government cannot follow simple, sound fiscal disciplines and not spend more than should be logically allowed to take in via taxes. 15% of GDP is more than enough, then he or she is a conservative.
- There needs to be a Constitutional Amendment requiring a super majority in Congress to increase taxes, then he or she is a conservative.
- There needs to be a Constitutional Amendment mandating a balanced budget, then he or she is a conservative.
- There needs to be a Constitutional Amendment requiring that the government pass a budget every year, then he or she is a conservative.
- All Government Departments should be reviewed within 2 years and action taken to eliminate the department or curtail its scope and operation, then he or she is a conservative.
- Global Warming: If the candidate believes that:
- If the Candidate believes that Climate Change is caused by human behavior and is a scientific fact, then you should not vote for them. They will ultimately use the taxation of “carbon dioxide emissions” as a way to hinder growth.
Don’t be fooled by a candidate that looks good in their clothes or who is a dynamic speaker. Those are good game show attributes but have nothing to do with whether that person would make a good President. If you have issues voting for a woman, you may want to ask yourself why and hopefully you will be able to overcome your phobia. After all, you took orders from your mother for around 18 years, 4 more won’t kill you!
If the Republican Party runs another “Obama-Lite” or “Progressive-Lite” like we did in 2008, then we will probably have to live with 4 more years of Obama. I truly doubt this Nation and the Western World would survive 4 more years of Obama.